Transitional Housing Program
Application to the program is by referral from a social service agency that is working with the household and can verify homelessness. Examples of social service agencies are: the Topeka Rescue Mission, public schools, churches, hospital social workers, Family Resource Center, TARC, Let’s Help, DCF, Valeo, KVC as well as others. The Transitional Housing Program offers a six month lease, with all utilities paid. It is the intention for the household to secure permanent housing by the end of the 6 months.
The Affordable Housing provides long-term rental housing for low income individuals and families, as well as disabled and special needs individuals and families. All of our properties offer rental rates that are below fair-market rates. All utilities are paid by the tenant. Rental subsidies through Section 8, Shelter + Care and the VA VASH Program are accepted.
*Cornerstone of Topeka, Inc. does not have an emergency shelter. The Topeka Rescue Mission offers emergency shelter in Topeka. The YWCA offers emergency shelter for victims of domestic abuse through the Center for Safety & Empowerment.
A Cornerstone application is required for those interested in applying for housing. Verifiable income is a minimum requirement for consideration for both Transitional and Affordable Housing.
- Cornerstone of Topeka Application [click to download]
Items required at the time the application is submitted:
- Application fee of $25.00, non-refundable, payment by Money Order/Cashier's Check/Personal Check (for Affordable Housing).
- Application completed in full and signed.
- Social Security Card for all members.
- Driver’s License all members over the ages of 18.
- Birth Certificates for all members under the ages of 18.
- Six (6) most recent paycheck stubs or Employment Verification Form [click to download].
- SSI, SSDI, or other subsidy statements (if applicable).
- Referral Letter from Service Agency (for Transitional Housing).
Affordable Housing: Once the application and required documentation is received for a currently available unit, a background check, as well as a credit history check will be conducted. Payment of the full deposit, payment of the 1st month’s rent, as well as utility confirmation numbers are required at the time the lease is signed. Keys to the property will not be given until full payment & utility confirmation numbers are received. We do not accept cash payments.
Transitional Housing: Once the application and required documentation is received, a background check, as well as a credit history check will be conducted. Once the application is approved, the applicant will placed on a waiting list for a unit to come available. Payment of the full deposit, payment of the 1st month's rent are required at the time the lease is signed. We do not accept cash payments.